Thursday, July 2, 2009

As the ink begins to run....

The first thing I thought was, 'It's humbug!!' It's intrusive and frankly I don't want the world to know 'What Iam thinking?' But,most of our lives seem to happen between blog posts and Emails. This is the closest that you can connect to the world.

Now, Iam all set to reclaim my 'Might to Write'. Writing is my significant other. I didn't want any infiltration into my passion. But, it created a temporary lull in me. And frankly, after a long time Iam longing for a nice dab from my nimble pen. I was jostling for a topic. I selected a few, discarded fewer, and could select the fewest. At last I set out to vent out my unhappiness over an array of issues. But, I may compel myself to be dishonest to play safe.
Two things bother me while writing- inability to sound sweet and diplomatic and an overkill of words. I can't help to mend either. They have become my significant others too.Not dragging much, I want to speak out on 'Romantic Love'. Yes, a change is as good as a holiday. I asked my pen to have a change for a change. It said'Yes'.

Since my foray into graduation to date, I have been pestered with a question "Do you have a boy friend?" I couldn't guess the acronym then, as I was too naive. But, my well-informed and literate classmates gave me the gyan. My answer to the question was, has been, and is "No, I don't have." I was an outcast from then in the class. I cared a damn for it. They thought I was feigning and pretending. I wondered "Is it so important to finish your graduation?"

As the graduation saga ends, the question embraced me again in my post-graduation. My answer to the question is a perpetual 'No'. Like all other times, I was looked at with an eye of suspicion.What annoys me the most is the presumption that you are unhappy and incomplete if you are not in a relationship.

The myths that surround 'Love and its synonyms' are countless. On one end, are asumptions about people not in love being lonely, insecure, naive and longing for Prince Charming. On the other is hypothesis about them being too 'conventional', 'pretentious'. I disagree to a fault.'

Love is blind', 'Love makes the world go around', how many sayings like these can be thought of?The columns of newspapers, day time television talks, soap operas and now academic courses buzz over this emotional facet. This is the extent to which the most fascinating emotion- 'love' has occupied our thoughts and actions.

How would we respond to the question- What is Love? Most of us insist that we experience it at sometime in our lives. I think rather I infer that it is a cultural invention not a natural phenomenon.Popular culture provides the main ways we learn on how to ' fall in love'. Movies, television, songs, novels, and magazines train our feelings into the wonderful delusion of romance.Our nourished illusions are harmless if one has a hint that romantic love is a fantasy feeling especially in teens. But while still under the influence of romantic illusions, some make the life-altering mistake of getting married.

We grew up in a milieu of romantic love. Everywhere we turn, even though we don't notice, somebody is making positive references to Love.

Iam very sure of being misinterpreted by many a reader. Just like indoctrination towards ethnic pride, loyalty towards a sporting team or attachment to a television programme, Romantic Love is influenced by emotional gymanstics. It is perhaps the most influential myth.

But I don't intend to take a flag post and announce that IT IS BAD! No, not at all. In the Bright face of its arising, it held the freshest promise. it is as rosy as it sounds, provided we just have to abandon a web of projected fantasies and begin to establish our relationships based on real information about each other and a genuine commitment.

If our concept is based on fairy tales, books, songs and movies from our childhood, then we are likely to be disapponted.It is not a colored or camouflaged trapyou are the victim of falling into. It is a choice and one should get conscious of one's choices.It is not smart or functional to cling, claw and drown in love's debris or in a relationship that is abusive or with someone who is unavailable with the line 'because I love him/her.'

This a small vignette of reactions rose out of resentment against the spree of killings and bloodshed owing to the death of so many girls.These incidents incited me to probe into my long-forgotten project in my graduation on 'Romantic Love' which has almost turned musty in smell and brown in color.

This wild extravagant feeling of head-over-heels in love with each other is certainly an enjoyable delusion as long as the emotional high lasts but should we attempt to build relationships based on illusions?

5 comments:

Shilpa Mohan said...

Nice post.Love the way u related feelings to sports. I agreee when u say falling in love as per your fantasies doesn't last. Real love needs you to face all the realities.. harsh or not. keep blogging. looking forward to more of u.. :)

sandhya said...

Thank you Shilpa!

Samson Tennela said...

Good post. It is really an eye- opener. Keep it up Sandhya. I am also looking forward for more posts from you. :)

sandhya said...

Thank you Sam!

Unknown said...

A different take on Love indeed!very nicely written.Keep posting more, Sandhya!